Friday, August 15, 2014

You Can't Out Train A Bad Diet

The important thing to remember when working to reach any fitness and weight loss goal is that in order to see the best results you need to focus on your nutrition.  A good fitness plan is 80% nutrition and 20% Fitness.  You can workout 7 days a week but without changing your way of eating and chances are you won't see the results you are looking for.  This has been one of the most challenging changes I have had to make in my transformation.  I workout 5-6 days a week and have been doing so consistently for the last 2+ years.  Initially I started seeing changes with my workouts alone but quickly found out that I would also need to change what I was eating and how I was eating before I really started to see the results I was looking for. Things I've learned.....

Don't Skip Breakfast

I was never much of a breakfast person.  If it wasn't something I could grab and eat in my car on my way to work then I wouldn't eat, which typically meant most mornings I didn't eat.  I would go until lunch before I would eat anything.  I quickly learned that I was missing out on the most important meal of the day.  Starting each day off with a good nutritious breakfast is a great way to give your metabolism a boost, give you the energy you need to get through your morning and eating breakfast can lead you to make healthier choices throughout your day.  I now start every morning with my daily dose of dense nutrition Shakeology.

shakeology


Drink Plenty of water
It is recommended to drink 1/2 your weight in oz per day.  So if you are 150 lbs it would be recommended for you to drink 75 oz. of water a day.  This is another area I was lacking in.  I would be sure to get my cup of coffee in the morning but would fail at drinking much of anything else the rest of the day.  I now carry a bottle of water with me where ever I go as a reminder to drink it through the day.  I keep it with me on my desk at work, in my car and where ever else I might go.

Eat a Well Balanced Diet

Be sure to eat a diet that consists of whole grains; fruit and vegetables, healthy fats such as olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, almond butter, hummus etc., lean proteins, avoid processed foods and eliminate soda.

Eat 5-6 small meals a day

Some of the benefits of eating 5 to 6 small meals per day including increasing your energy levels, accelerate muscle growth, and speed up your metabolism without storing fat.  You can break the calories down by staying around 300 calories for you main meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner and then choosing healthy snacks that are 100-200 calories.

Healthy snacks can include: almonds, apples with peanut butter or PB2 ; fresh berries with plain low-fat Greek yogurt, plain low-fat green yogurt with 1 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup, veggies with hummus and cheese just to name a few.


Below are some of my favorites that I like to take with me to work to get me through my afternoons.  This helps to give me a boost for my after work workouts.  I usually eat dinner later and need something to keep me going.

healthy snacks


healthy snacks
Apples & PB2



Healthy snacks
Water Greek Yogurt and Berries

healthy snacks
Mixed berries Greek Yogurt and Flax seed


healthy snacks
Carrots and Hummus
 


















To see the best results you have improve your nutrition.  This is just as important as increasing your fitness level.  Looking at where to start message me and I a can help.  I will be starting monthly clean eating/ healthy eating challenge groups starting in September.

healthy eating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Snap Widget